I sneezed, dropping my screwdriver again and sending the tiny screws rolling across the tabletop. I sighed.
“百岁,” Jian said from the other side of the apartment.
“Sorry,” I answered automatically as I tried to gather up the screws. I just wanted to get the plate back on the robot before I managed to drop it or sneeze inside it or something and do even more damage.
“Why are you apologizing? I thought it was expected that one says something after another person sneezes.”
I blinked at him, barely aware I’d said it. “I, oh, it’s nothing.”
“If it was nothing, you wouldn’t be turning that shade of red,” he pointed out.
“Just… Xiu He used to complain when I made noises like that. She thought it was gross because, you know, bodily functions and all. So I got in the habit of apologizing all the time.” I turned away, focusing very intently on the tiny screwdriver and the tinier screw and resisting the temptation to look back at Jian again.
“That is not acceptable.” He was nearly yelling, and I rarely saw him angry. I still didn’t want to look. I could practically feel his anger peeling off like heat from a sidewalk. I flinched.
Behind me, I heard nothing. He stopped moving.
“I’m not upset at you,” Jian said. His voice was quiet. “I’m upset that it happened. That I didn’t stop her more thoroughly to begin with.”
“That’s not… you weren’t even there, Jian, you couldn’t have…”
I turned to look at him finally. He was glaring out the window.
“Jian, if I hadn’t met her, I never would have met you.”
He didn’t answer me right away, so I turned back to my robot. The last screw was nowhere to be found, and I muttered something about gnomes stealing things before I gave up and took another one out of the kit.
I turned the robot on and noted with satisfaction that it booted up without a problem. The motherboard replacement had everything working smoothly again.
Well, almost everything.
“Jian.” He hadn’t moved while I finished the work. He still had a way of disconnecting sometimes, as if he forgot that time passed; I guess it’s hard to get out of the habit of being immortal.
I stood from the desk and walked over to him, running my hand down his arm and taking hold of his wrist. He didn’t jerk away, but I did feel his muscles soften under my touch.
“No regrets,” I told him.
“But she-”
I pressed a finger against his lips. “None. I’m here with you now. I’m happy. That’s enough for me.”
He frowned more heavily, then his expression softened. He must have decided it wasn’t worth arguing about.
“As you wish.”
“I do wish. Or, I guess I don’t. I don’t need to wish for anything.”
I sneezed again, ruining the moment, but he smiled. I smiled back. And in that moment, it was true. I didn’t really want anything to be different.
Mirrored from Jack-a-dreams.
(no subject)
21/8/12 13:28 (UTC)Also cute. You're really good at these soft, sweet moments, Jack. I really appreciate the backstory you show.
(no subject)
21/8/12 15:14 (UTC)(no subject)
21/8/12 17:37 (UTC)(no subject)
21/8/12 18:16 (UTC)(no subject)
21/8/12 18:17 (UTC)(no subject)
21/8/12 18:18 (UTC)I'm pretty sure that was an actual attack on Sailor Moon.
(no subject)
21/8/12 19:48 (UTC)